29 July 2006, 17:34
I'll try to keep this blog post short: RSS is crap.
- RSS is not only one file format. RSS refers to multiple file formats which resemble each other.
- Thus, various RSS versions are incompatible.
- There are around 10 incompatible versions as of writing this. maybe I don't even know them all. By the time you read my post, there might be more.
- RSS 2.0 is good, it serves its purpose.
- RSS 2.0 is not crap.
- Same goes for any of the versions you pick.
- Problem is the entire RSS.
- Thus implementation is suddenly hard, for a supposedly simple format.
Solution: use Atom wisely:
- It's as easy as RSS 2.0, if you ignore all the other capabilities you don't need.
- It's better documented.
- It's easier to implement.
- It's not crap.